Rooster with Upper Respiratory not getting better Help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rlhagan56, Dec 5, 2016.

1. rlhagan56

rlhagan56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Out West
    It's been one thing after another here! My new Silkie rooster has had upper respiratory symtpoms, so I started him and his lady on Denegard in the water with honey added. It's very cold here and he is getting worse. I use 1 1/2 teaspoons Denegard in one gallon water.

I have Tylan 200 should I change to that? I can't inject so should I bring him in the house out of the cold and start the Tylan 50 or even the Oxytetracycline? I am at a loss!!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't know why you would do any of those things except bring him into a warm place.
    You don't know what you're treating for. Treatable bacteria is a fairly small percentage of things that can give chickens respiratory problems.

I'm pretty sure Denagard is only effective on some gram negative bacteria.

If he is new and immediately started showing symptoms, that was the time to remove him from the rest of the flock. I assume you didn't quarantine the indicated amount of time at a significant distance from the rest of your birds.

3. rlhagan56

Mar 10, 2012
    Out West
    Let me clarify, he was shipped here with his pullet. No other poultry here. She is fine. He is getting worse, I have Tylan 200, Oxine, Denegard, and Oxy. I have been treating with Denegard for 3 days now, he is getting worse. What would you have me do? I have no vet here.

Bringing him into a warmer environment might be a bad idea, and that is what I need opinions on since he is now used to the cold. They have a draft free coop.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The only problem with bringing him into the warm place is when you have to re-acclimate him to the cold. I would worry about that issue after he is well.
    Chickens can handle quite cold conditions unless they are ill and then they need a space about 80F to help them recover.
    Furthermore, silkies are among the most fragile breeds when it comes to temperature.
    Since you think it is cold and you say the coop is draft free, perhaps they don't have enough ventilation.
    Respiratory problems are common this time of year as people close off their coops, thinking it is too cold.

What state are you in? You may be able to send throat and nasal swabs to the state poultry lab for testing. Since the Denagard didn't help, it is likely viral, gram positive bacterial, fungal, environmental, parasitic or even nutritional. Without tests, there is no way to tell.

5. rlhagan56

Mar 10, 2012
    Out West
    I guess I found my own answer. But since you took the time;
    8X10 insulated coop, open vents at top, no drafts.
    No other poultry here at this time
    Northeastern Nevada at a high elevation, no labs, no vets yada yada
    I've raised all kinds of fowl for 25 years, I have questions because I never had a problem, never a sickness, death nothing until early this summer I have had a few issues.
    They were shipped here 6 weeks ago, he started sounding upper respiratory 4 days ago and I immediately started Denegard, and closed the coop door since it was snowing. They have good ventilation.

Since no one will address my original questions and help me, this is what I've done today, I have moved the two into my bedroom and started Oxytetracycline in their water. Both are eating and drinking well. I have stripped their coop just because/ just in case there was mold in the shavings. Why wood I mention mold? Because I am trying to cover my bases. They seem to be doing better now, but thanks anyway.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Well you have to do what you have to do.

You have labs and vets. You could ask someone at the following links for direction to lab work.

http://agri.nv.gov/Animals/Animal_Disease/Animal_Disease_Home/
    http://www.unr.edu/nevada-today/news/2015/2015-poultry-class

Maybe someone will answer your original question but I can't possibly answer what you should do medically since neither you nor I know what they are suffering from.

As I advised earlier, to the best of my knowledge, Denagard won't help anything but a gram negative bacterial infection and the problem could be so many other things. Many of which can't be helped by antibiotics.

Have you been raising silkies for the last 25 years?

7. rlhagan56

Mar 10, 2012
    Out West
    What are you talking about? I live in the middle of nowhere!!!!!! my wonderful vet does not treat poultry in any way, I ASKED many times. If you can't give me help then don't post please! Yes I have had Silkies off and on with other breeds for over 25 years. I just wanted to know the best approach. We have had severe state cutbacks and have no LAB to send to for necropsies!

I am a little upset you see, because 30 minutes ago his little pullet that is with him in my bedroom and was just fine, just died in my hands. I heard noise and I ran in to see what was happening and she was thrashing around. I tried cpr and clearing her mouth. But that's fine, no one wants to offer help and I can't do anything for her any longer.

8. ch1ckenmama

ch1ckenmama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2016
    Oh no!! Im so soolrry to hear about your pullet has passed away!! I am new to here and am looking for advice as well. I really hope that your rooster starts to turn around.

My husband got me last night and said one of my girls was wheezing and seemed to be labored breathing. She was fine earlier. So I got her and brought her inside. Gave her a nice warm lavender bath and blow dried her. They are are very first chickens, so not aure what to do. I have a really good book from a cet that likes to use essential oils to help animals. So I difused some recommended oils and by bed time last night, she is breathing normal and eating and drinking. Going to pick up a few things at the feed store today. I am hoping she will be better after keeping her inside for a few days.

Again Im so sorry to hear about your pullet!

9. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I understand your stressed......

Respiratory disease is Horrid.....No cure........Without knowing what the Birds really have?....Impossible to say what to treat them with......It can come into our yards from wild birds....on our shoes.....One cough or sneeze from an infected Bird is all most take to spread..........Without keeping a total locked down set up for Disease?......It can and will happen....Terrible when it hits flocks.......

Do not add anymore Birds.........If the Rooster dies, clean all areas and wait 8 weeks before you try again.......

Best of Luck.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by