Rooster with very pink feet and legs, almost red while being out in morning dew, sometimes he stumbl

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by clfrannie, Nov 17, 2016.

1. clfrannie

clfrannie Out Of The Brooder

I am beginning to think my Orpington Buff Rooster has a foot problem. His feet and legs are bright pink and it looks almost like an angry red when exposed to moisture in the environment, like morning dew or rain. He sometimes stumbles too and is unable to catch the hens. I have two Orpington Buff hens whose feet are not the color of the rooster's.I got this fellow as an adult. The only thing I know about him is that he was a child's 4H project, I guess I can believe that.Any ideas? Just treat him with neosporim for awhile?

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    do you have any images? Orphingtons and some other breeds as they turn into adults hormones are at peak and they get lines of redish pink up legs and on feet. Not sure why your guy is stumbling, images would help and the bottom of the feet too!

3. clfrannie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mr. Rooster's feet seem to be okay. They are not real red right now and there was no broken skin or hard lumps or scratches or anything that I thought looked wrong. I guess it is just hormones.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    keep an eye on him, my orp seems to come and go shading...

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yeah, I agree, those feet look fine. Injuries on chicken legs and feet can appear greenish and black from bruising. Red color indicates hormones which can fluctuate as you're seeing.

If your roo is stumbling, you need to keep a watchful eye on him. Lameness can indicate serious disease, such as Marek's, in addition to injury. I have a hen right now that is barely able to walk from tumors caused by lymphotic leucosis. I'm getting close to euthanizing her.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That doesn't look like the red 'testosterone' streaking on legs.....look like irritation, but no real swelling.
    What are you feeding him?
    You don't really know his age?
    Spurs show maybe 3 years.....how long have you had him?

7. clfrannie

He is eating Dumor layer pellets with the other hens. I have had him since last summer, about 4 months. I think he is only about a year old but I really don't know for sure. Sometimes I give the chickens apples or blueberries or tomatoes or cracked corn as a treat.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Was thinking possibly gout from too much calcium...but again not much swelling.

9. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

How old is this Rooster?

Hormones play a huge part in red feet,Combs, and Wattles..........The Stumbling should concern you.......Could be nutritional.....I mix my feed so my Rooster is not only eating the layer...I add grower.....50/50 ratio....I can not not buy all flock here in Alberta....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by