Rooster with watery eyes

noisegeyser

Songster
Mar 28, 2019
My rooster has had a small amount of clear watery discharge periodically coming from his eyes for the past few months. There's no swelling and there's nothing stuck in his eyes. At first I thought it was a sort of mild infection, but antibiotic ointment didn't clear it up for any longer than if I had just wiped it away with a q-tip. A couple days later it was back. He also doesn't have any trouble breathing, so I doubt it's the result of a respiratory illness. He lives with one hen, and her eyes are completely free of any discharge.

I wish I had a picture to post, but I just wiped it away without thinking, and even if I didn't it's such a small amount it doesn't show up well in photos. It doesn't seem to bother him, but I know it's not exactly normal, so I worry. He's not extremely old either, maybe 5 or 6. What could be making a chicken's eyes water that isn't a foreign body, infection or respiratory illness?

If your air circulation in the coop is good, and no others are showing signs, it still could be a sign of mycoplasma or MG. I had a hen once who had foam in her eyes occasionally. It would disappear, and come and go. She had no other symptoms such as swelling around an eye, sneeze, or rattly breathing. I gave her Tylan and used antibiotic eye ointment, and it containued to come and go. Without testing, it is sometimes hard to know what causes it, but I would rule out MG. Dust, ammonia odors, and poor air circuation can irritate the eyes and breathing.

If your air circulation in the coop is good, and no others are showing signs, it still could be a sign of mycoplasma or MG. I had a hen once who had foam in her eyes occasionally. It would disappear, and come and go. She had no other symptoms such as swelling around an eye, sneeze, or rattly breathing. I gave her Tylan and used antibiotic eye ointment, and it containued to come and go. Without testing, it is sometimes hard to know what causes it, but I would rule out MG. Dust, ammonia odors, and poor air circuation can irritate the eyes and breathing.
They have a very clean coop, and while I haven't been able to let them outside much lately the windows are always open so ventilation is adequate. My chickens were taken care of by a friend of mine for a month a couple years ago, it's possible that he caught something from one of their birds. But it's odd that my hen has no problems with her eyes whatsoever, if it's supposed to be highly contagious. What ended up happening with your hen, did it eventually clear up for good? Or at least not massively impact her quality of life.

Back
Top Bottom