Rooster with white crusty ears..please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by xxStarStruckxx, Nov 3, 2015.

1. xxStarStruckxx

xxStarStruckxx New Egg

Nov 3, 2015
    Hello! We are new to the chicken owner field and we adopted 5 hens and a rooster from a family that did not take care of them. Our rooster has some white stuff on his ears. I have no idea the breed and do not know if it is normal. Please help!![​IMG]

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    [​IMG]
    It is probably just the natural coloration of his earlobe. His ear does not appear to be swollen, so I would not guess an ear infection of any kind.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] That is just the normal color of his earlobes. The spikey, stiff feathers beneath his earlobe are pinfeathers that are coming in - he is finishing a molt.

4. xxStarStruckxx

xxStarStruckxx New Egg

Nov 3, 2015
    Yes it is like this on both ears but spotty in the other side. I have not seen any discharge. All of the chickens are coming out of a molt. Says the previous owners. I will be completely honest I am scared to death of him so I will have my husband feel his ear. He is not mean but I have a rooster phobia because when I was a child I had an uncle that lived next to us and he had an attack rooster. This rooster would chase us to the bus stop. I will have my husband feel and I will reply.

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Agreed.

6. xxStarStruckxx

xxStarStruckxx New Egg

Nov 3, 2015
    Thank you and no it does not come off when you feel it. He is really pretty I just did not want anything wrong with him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by