Rooster with yellow/orange comb just died. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MattalynsBarn, Jul 8, 2011.

1. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Hey so I have chickens, but I'm pet sitting a friends flock and when I arrived today there Barred Rock (I think) rooster was dead. We stopped by on Sunday to see their routine and his comb was like that then. The owner said it had been like that his whole life, he was just over a year old. No other chickens were dead, but I'll update that when we go tonight. Almost like the color of this chicken, except on a roo, more orange, less uniform, and less natural looking (This comb looks like it's pale, his looked like... Wrong. I don't really know how to describe it.)

Any ideas?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sometimes a funky color comb can mean some sort of infuenza, however if he has been this way all his life, than I do not know what he had. However, I would be careful with disease of this flock and to wear different shoes into this new chicken yard, wash your hands and change your clothes when you come home. Disease can be transferred on hands, shoes and clothes and could infect your flock.

3. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Yes, I did that, thank you. I just wish I could give their family some answers...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by