Rooster Woes.....Need advice

winekntrychicks

Pooper Peeper
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Sebastopol, CA
I have a bantam Golden Seabright Mix Rooster and six pullets.....

Should I be worried for the girls-now that he has had a "taste" of the ladies can I confine him or will it stress him out?

I really got him for the crowing effect. I don't care if I have fertile eggs-not a problem, I don't want my girls running around featherless.
hmm.png

Take a wait and see approach. If he's too hard on the girls there's always saddles (if you want to go that far).
Besides the fertile eggs he's good protection for the flock.

Did you recently get the roo? I know when we moved ours home a few weeks ago, we had two bald EE's (Kojak and Cue Ball) and now that they are settling in, their feathers are starting to come back. We also have 6 hens and 1 roo. Our Turken was also missing alot of feathers (they free ranged where they were before) and she is also starting to look like her name - Pot Pie.

Yes, recently go the roo. He is bantam so I am not sure of his age. His crow is not all that mature yet (seems to me) He is really cute, has a two long tail feathers but he is mixed with Seabright and they are supposed to be "hen feathered" so I am not sure what age this would indicate. I witnessed the most interesting behavior from him this morning. Will write about it later tonight.

So yes, he is a new commer of about a month. My girls are just turning 20 weeks old tomorrow, so....you know the rest. My girls are so pretty I want to keep them that way...........more later;)

ive never had that problem, ya know, with chickens and roosters ripping feathers out and so forth, but i have one mature boy, who rarely coclke doodle doos, and he stays by two hens, and they still have plenty of feathers, i also have a silkie boy (i think) a cross boy( i think again) and three hens that im pretty sure are hens, thye do fight ocasionally, but dont we all?
its normal, just do what everyone dose and introduce the boy at night and stuff, and only remove them if theres a real big big problem

Back
Top Bottom