rooster woes...please advise.

twister

Songster
10 Years
Sep 12, 2009
Mississippi
Ok, I hope no one thinks I am crazy. But I was wondering if it is possible to have a vet neuter a rooster? I just dearly love my roo but he is a hefty bird ( def . going on 10 lbs) and he is making my 3 hens bare backed. With winter looming, my poor girls need their feathers. I am about to bring 3 new pullets out of quarintine and I am afraid he will hurt them -- that is , if he could catch them. I do not want to give him away, i would never eat him, and i do not want to take away his free ranging rights b.c. he is so protective of the lady birds. He is docile and such a friendly roo... i just wish that he weren't so...ummmmm..... needy! As he ages --- because he is only one---- will he calm down a bit and not be so needy?

thanks

You can either buy or make some saddles for your hens. That should keep him from pulling out their feathers. You could even trim his nails so they aren't so sharp.

A neutered rooster is called a capon. The surgery is called caponizing. Not that many vets know how to do it any more and it is not without risk. I'm not sure it's something you do to an older, sexually mature rooster either. Just adding some more hens so your rooster can spread his love around a little more should help. Good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom