Rooster woes

Nnyuu

Songster
Mar 23, 2021
Southeastern Pennsylvania
I have 2 roosters currently, a barred rock/EE and a bantam cochin. They hatched at the same time, have always gotten along and would even roost next to each other.

Something changed today. My BR suddenly went after the bantam. The bantam was never the alpha and is now petrified of the BR. They free range all day, but the BR has made his feelings very well known and the bantam will run away as soon as he sees him. I can't put him in the coop, it'll be a blood bath.

We have a second coop but it is currently taken up with a couple 8 week old hens.

Would the bantam be ok in with the babies? I'm really hesitant to do that because they are so young. My only other option would be to slap a diaper on him and keep him inside for a while but I can't imagine he will be happy with that.

Wwyd?

Updating this in case someone else has this issue. Oldhenlikesdogs was on the money. Smaller rooster waited until everyone was settled before he went into the coop but then he did go in. He stayed as far from the big rooster as he could and there were no issues. In the morning he waited until everyone was out before he made his escape and is happily free ranging far from the other rooster. Hopefully this continues to work until the second coop is available for him and his hens. 😊

I would cull one of the roosters... but I understand that might not be something you are comfortable with. Multiple roosters are tricky in any kind of confinement.

As you found out, being raised together or their behavior in the past has little to do with their behavior today. It is good that you separated them. I do not see them going back together, and some will even fight through the fence.

You can only try and see...he might do ok with the 8 week old birds, I would not expect them to be a lot smaller than he is, and he would be moving in on their territory - so that is what I would try first. It might work, it might not.

Personally, I would not be in favor (and I don't think he will either) of in house bird. The mess would be more than I would be comfortable, and no way could I get DH to go with it.

Another option is give him away.

Mrs K

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. We are not interested in culling or rehoming either. As I mentioned, we have 2 coops and I had planned to eventually have 2 separate flocks, this has just messed with the timetable. 😞 We have a large enough property that he can free range well away from the other rooster, so really the only problem is where does he sleep at night until flock #2 is fully ready.

Back
Top Bottom