1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Woes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kinney's Urban Ranch, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Kinney's Urban Ranch

Kinney's Urban Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    Capitol Hill, Denver, CO
    We are relatively new chicken owners (almost a year) and discovered this morning that our buff Orpington is not the hen that we purchased as a pullet last winter, but is in fact a rooster. He let us know this morning by issuing his first crows. We had not even noticed a voice practice in the past few months that would have stirred our suspicions. We did note that she looked different than our other hens, but she was the only Orpington, so we had no frame of reference.
    So, now we are in a pickle. We live in uptown Denver. And, granted, the city is reviewing new legislation to determine if citizens can have up to 8 chickens without a permit, but still roosters are a big NO WAY in the city.
    We really do not want to see our Roo culled, as there have been no problems with behavior, etc. But, I need options or resources to rehome this bird asap. I feel terrible with the crowing at 5:45 am and can imagine that my neighbors feel the same.
    Any thoughts?

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    until you find a home for him,
    cover any windows of the coop with black tar paper, that should stop the early crowing.

also if you put him in a cage where he has to sit down to sleep. that way it is uncomfortable for him to crow when he is in there. (roosters like to crow standing up, so they can streach there necks) just for bed time, thats what we did, and it worked great!

let me know what happens. [​IMG]

if you can keep him, know that some roosters dont crow as much when they get older.
    But many are MEAN!!!

Good luck

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  3. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Are you looking to sell him?

4. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    Wish I could pick him up if I had lived closer.....alas, Denver is a long way from WI

Hope he finds a nice home

5. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    Kinney's,

Did you solve your rooster problem?

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Another solution is a zip tie on the neck. I've been told to put one on there but make it loose enough that a finger can still fit under there. Doesn't stop them completely but they can't get out a huge crow if it's the right tightness. I haven't tried this myself because my rooster's crowing isn't yet a problem.

7. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    Um, I was actually going to offer to take him but don't know if you've already found him a home. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by