1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rooster won't breed chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by proudmg03, Jun 28, 2016.

1. proudmg03

proudmg03 New Egg

Feb 22, 2015
    I have a rooster who is two years old. He looks like a blue buff orphington. My eggs are all infertile. He does the rooster dance but never mounts the chickens. He calls them over for food and pays attention to them but never "does the deed". I thought I read once where orphingtons sometimes have trouble mating because they have too many feathers but I can't find that article again. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    Sounds like a lazy roo. I'd replace him or put another with him, maybe he'll catch on.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Show a current picture of his comb and wattles. I am looking for intensity of red coloration. This coming evening pull him off the roost and handle him. I want to know what his condition factor / weight is relative to ideal. Pay particular attention to muscle covering the breast bone. Does he feel scrawny?

4. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    I'd also say get some competition for him, and checkif he isn't too heavy. Do your chickens have a run? Perhaps with more exercise he'll be fitter and more active.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by