rooster won't come outside of the coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kingstfarm, Jan 29, 2015.

1. kingstfarm

kingstfarm New Egg

Jan 10, 2015
    I have a 10 mos old silkie rooster who has grown up in the coop/run. The run is enclosed by another well protected very large run. Covered by netting and fence. It is protected well. We have never had a predator get inside. I don't see any signs of one trying to get inside. He is the only rooster. 3 days ago 2 of the silkie hens (he grew up with all the hens) went broody. I pulled them off the nest and closed the coop for the rest of the afternoon. They all went inside the coop for the night. This broke them of the broodiness. The next 2 days I have noticed that the rooster won't come out of the coop. He doesn't look ill. He is eating and drinking. Yesterday, I brought him outside and he was fine. He came inside for the night. Today I went out to check on him early afternoon and he was doing the same thing. Won't come out of the coop. All the girls were out and about and not acting like anything has bothered them. He acts fine once I bring him out. He goes into rooster mode immediately. He is a very nice/gentle rooster. He usually doesn't leave the girls side. I also have 2 lg breed hens that share the really large run but sleep in a different coop. They do their usual lg breed vs. banty bully. They don't hurt anyone they just push their weight around. The banty's always let them have their way.

Why would he do this? Anyone got any ideas?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Very strange. It is possible when the other two birds went broody, something in his hormones changed and he was prepared to guard them as they were broody and now he has to wait until it passes?? Maybe someone will chime in here with a better answer. LOL But I hope you can figure this one out!!

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!!

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Your rooster's behavior is certainly strange, but I don't think it means anything is wrong. Like Two Crows mentioned, it might just be his hormones.

Good luck with your chickens!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Two Crows might be right; it could be a hormonal change. If he acts normal otherwise, I don't think that he is sick.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Wow! Very interesting behavior! Defiantly take note of that!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think it could be hormonal also. Some silkie roos have strong parental instincts. They may sit on the eggs while mama takes a break, or stand guard. They also alert mama and babies to treats they find. Even without a broody hen, they may encourage a young pullet to use the nest, or pick one out for her. Some stay with young hens to give them moral support when they start laying. This doesn't mean they all do but, I think you just have a very caring, papa roo.

10. kingstfarm

kingstfarm New Egg

Jan 10, 2015
    Thanks for replying. I was also thinking it may have something to do with the girls broodiness. He never leaves their sides and that's what really confused me. He doesn't act sick at all. It will be interesting to see how long this lasts or if he's over it after 2 days. Anxious to go home this afternoon and see what he's up to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by