1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Rooster Wont Crow!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by got2bskilled, May 11, 2010.

1. got2bskilled

got2bskilled In the Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    I have a very cute new Frizzled Polish roo that my daughter named Princess. Princess seems to be very depressed lately and hides in his coop often...he won't even crow! He eats and drinks normally... and is otherwise healthy. I need to get him a few hens... but I thought I would give him a few days to adjust, being he is new. He was saved by another kind person from being processed and was caged with other roosters that pecked the feathers off the back of his little head. I feel bad for Princess... is there anything that I can feed him to make him feel better? I know this might sound dumb... but do birds get depressed? Any suggestions welcomed~

2. iheartchkns

iheartchkns In the Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Since he was apparently bullied by the other roosters, he could use some TLC. I would take him out every now and then and just hold him on my lap and pet him. Chickens love worms, dandelion greens, bugs, sunflower seeds, and lots of other treats, so feel free to try some of those. I've heard plain yogurt is a chicken favorite, too. Just earning his trust and letting him know he's in a safe haven is a good start.

Then, get those hens. My roosters LOVE their hens. :eek:)

3. iheartchkns

iheartchkns In the Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Oh, and you mentioned in your subject line that your rooster won't crow. Be careful what you wish for. I have two, and they crow late at night and starting around 4:30am; one on either side of the house, so we get it in stereo.

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    [​IMG]

Be careful for wishes, indeed.

I have a bunch of project birds that matured at 12 weeks. Dumb pullets aren't laying, but boy can those boys crow---or try to crow. It is sad song all around. [​IMG]

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

He probably is a bit sad - it can be hard on a bird to be thru all he has.

Might try just sitting in the run for a week or so. Sprinkle some black oil sunflower or safflower seeds, or any tasty treat you think he might like (a bit of grass, bugs, peas) around you and just wait. Let him come to you when he is ready.

Keep him in quarantine for a good 30 days before introducing him to any birds. And remember to feed/water/visit him last after your other birds. Just in case he is ill. Have you looked him over for lice/mites yet? If not, would be a good idea.

Do you know how old he is? If he was not the dominate roo/cockerel, then he might not have started crowing yet. He will crow when he feels confident in his new digs.
    Congrats on your new guy.

6. got2bskilled

got2bskilled In the Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    THANK YOU ALL! Major difference in just a few days. I gave him a little TLC as suggested and he perked up and crowed twice the next morning! It was a weird crow... he says "doodle-doo", not "cock-a-doodle-doo". I would think it horrible to hear that in stereo Iheartchkns! As for the TLC, unfortunatly for me, the time I put him on my lap to pet him... he smelled of SKUNK *BIG TIME* ~Ruined my jeans! He still smelled bad this morning- SO, I am going to give him a tomato bath at some point~LOL~ Thanks again from Princess Roo and I too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by