rooster won't let one hen out to free range

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CarolB, May 9, 2011.

1. CarolB

CarolB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    I have been raising chickens for years and have never had this problem before. I have a small flock of banties that I raised together. I have given away some of the roosters I had until I now have a white silkie and a buff Japanese bantie roosters. I have a white silkie hen, a buff japanese hen and three sebright hens. Recently, I noticed that when one sebright hen tries to come out to free range with the other hens he chases her back into the coop. He has tried to mate with her a couple of times when I was outside with them before this behavior occurred. He was very mean to her compared to the other hens. She was crying out as in pain. She got away both times I was there and flew up on my shoulder. Now, she stays in the coop up high where the rooster can't get to her. The funny thing is that when the brood is closed up or running in their pen everyone is friends. I have even seen her roost next to the rooster. I have never seen him be mean to her or mate with her while inside the coop or pen. It always happens when they are let out to free range for grass and bugs. I feel sorry for her because she can't get to the grass or bugs. I don't know what to do. Has anyone ever had this happen to them before?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A rooster like that would not last long here. JMO.

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a hen that my roo did not like. She was a rescue and I gradually brought her into the fold. The hens were fine with her, but my roo, who is a gentleman otherwise, did not want her near him. he would chase her away. I felt that it was because she didn't lay eggs and/or squat for him. She had previously been caged and debeaked... poor baby. She's no longer with us. [​IMG] Cooper's hawk took her this winter. Still upsets me, though I do believe she was happy being free and flapping her wings.

4. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    I can't imagine why a rooster would do this to a hen. Perhaps housing them seperatley and letting them free-range on different days? Maybe even give the poor hen a friend or two from the flock to run with? Roosters sometimes reject new members to a flock but I have never in my 15 years experiace with chickens heard of them rejecting a current member? Does she lay? Is he agressive with any of the others?

5. CarolB

CarolB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Sorry about the delay in responding. I have been busy. I have been raising chickens about 15 years too and have never had this happen. They were raised together so there should not be a problem. However, I don't think I have seen her laying an egg and she probably won't let him mount her. I don't blame her because when I saw him he was really hurting her and he doesn't do that to the other hens. She was literally screaming before I could get to her. I forgot to mention in my post that it was the Silkie rooster. The other rooster doesn't seem to bother her. He has a favorite hen which is the japenese buff and he mostly sticks with her. The crazy thing is that when they are in the pen together with the others there isn't any problem. When I let them out she stays in the coop now up high where he can't get to her. I feel sorry for her and sometimes bring her bread crumbs or grass clippings to eat. We are thinking about keeping him in a brooder coup occasionally to give her a chance to get out with the others and see how things go. Thanks for the idea. I would house them separately but don't really have the room. He is really beautiful and I don't want to get rid of him but if things get worse that is what will happen. I don't like my hens being mistreated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by