1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster won't let some hens eat

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pfields, Dec 16, 2014.

1. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

For some reason my BA rooster has started chasing away some of my hens from eating when I pour out their feed in the morning and afternoon. He seems to only chase away the EE's. My EE's are very shy so I put some food in another place for them but the other hens come running and scare them off. Why is he doing this? I have 21 hens and two roosters. The GSL rooster doesn't do this at all. I would get rid of both of them but lately hawks have discovered our chickens. The roosters have been great in alarming us. They free range all day in our half acre fenced in backyard.

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    It sounds like your rooster has for whatever reason rejected these two hens.. I had a couple Ancona hens that my rooster rejected. Might work to get rid of the rooster that has rejected them and replace with another rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by