1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster won't lift his head, walking into things.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kidd Rock, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Kidd Rock

Kidd Rock New Egg

Jan 25, 2012
    We have a Rooster, Kidd Rock, who was fine earlier this evening and we went to check on the chickens, his head is down low and when you call him, he does not lift it. When he did walk, he was walking into the side walls, with his head down low. What can we do? [​IMG]

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Oh dear...poor baby and poor you! I don't have a clue. Was he falling into the side walls - like if he were drunk? Or was he just not looking where he was going? Might help with diagnosis to have some other info. "bump"

3. Kidd Rock

Kidd Rock New Egg

Jan 25, 2012
    He was walking into the sides of the coop like he was "drunk". This morning he doesn't seem to have his head down low on the ground. He is actually holding it up more, by no means is it like his holding his head up proud, as in picture. But Im glad its not on the ground . We brought him up to the garage for the night and put him in a bin. He is finally making some noises this am, I'm sure nervous of being in a new location. If he starts to bring he head up more, I will put him back with the girls later today. I hope he is starting to feel better!!! I just wonder what it is or how it happened and will he be ok.

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Do you think he might have a head injury of some kind? Until you are pretty sure what the problem is - I don't think you should put him back with the girls. He should be segregated just in case it's something that is contagious. Anyone else????

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i agree, you need to keep him separate until he is better or you determine the cause of his behavior. He could have a head injury, or there are illnesses which effect muscle coordination. At this point, my best guess is head injury. Those can be very serious, but the fact that he is doing better today is very positive.

See if you can construct something for him to stay in for a while that will give him a little room. It's always good to have a "hospital" pen or hutch. Provide fresh water and food, maybe some mashed hard boiled eggs. Some chicken vitamins in the water would be good. Or you can give him a couple drops of Polyvisol baby vitamins without iron. Just be careful of his head and neck, in case there is an injury there. Many injuries heal on their own but take time, so he may need a week or two to fully recover.

Please keep us posted on his condition or if you observe any other symptoms. Hope he continues to get better.

6. Kidd Rock

Kidd Rock New Egg

Jan 25, 2012
    Thanks! He ate very well today, and we tried putting him in with the girls this evening. He held his head up and ran around. I was hoping seeing the girls might help his spirits, as silly as that sounds. If he is not doing better by morning, we will keep him separated from the girls until he is better. We've had him for a couple years now, and he does not fertilize the eggs. Never has, but he is such a great Rooster!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by