Rooster won't open his eye, won't drink, just sleeps, slimy beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blessed6, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Blessed6

Blessed6 New Egg

Aug 29, 2016
    Our biggest rooster is having major issues. Last night my husband went to make sure the chickens were all in the coop before bed and our roo was sitting outside on top of the run which is very unusual. Something has been getting our flock and we think we fixed the problem, but he has never just sat outside. Also yesterday he just sat in the coop sleeping instead of foraging with the other chicks like normal. And he hasn't crowed in the last few days. So we separated him last night thinking he needed rest. This morning he will barely open his left eye. He's so tired that he isn't even bothered that we're messing with him. He won't eat or drink. We used a dropper to put some water inside his beak. When we opened his beak he had slimy stuff on it, thicker than spit. Once we gave him a dropper full his legs started shaking. We've already lost 2/3 of our flock and we don't want to loose him. He's our "Little Roo" Can anyone please help? Thanks!
    Oh and we got him around Valentine's Day.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Were your others attacked or did they die of an illness. What were the symptoms? Does he seem like he could have a respiratory disease affecting his eye and voice? Is he coughing, wheezing, or gasping? Are his nostrils dirty like they are draining mucus? Check his crop to feel if it is empty or full, hard, or soft. How does he smell around his beak? I would use some vitamins and electrolytes in his water, offer him some soft egg or tuna along with his normal feed. Try adding some water to his feed to get more water into him. If you think he may have a respiratory sinus infection, I would get some Tylan 50 injectable, and give him 1 1/4 ml orally twice a day for 5 days.

3. Blessed6

Blessed6 New Egg

Aug 29, 2016
    Thanks for helping! I'm really clueless about chicken diseases. My other chickens were taken away by another animal that we haven't caught yet. He's not coughing, wheezing or gasping. He can see with his eye but he just can't open it. We opened his eye and it looks normal but then he closes it right away. And he is constantly sleeping. His nostrils aren't dirty, he just has a lot of sticky stuff inside his beak.What is his crop? Sorry, dumb question. It's the thing right under his beak right? Thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by