Rooster won't return to coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hoppalongg, Oct 17, 2011.

1. hoppalongg

hoppalongg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    I have a small flock of 10 hens and 3 roosters. One of the roosters has been run-off by the other two and won't return to the coop at night. This as gone on for weeks. He has found a tree in the near by timber (right behind my neighbors house which gives him an alarm clock I'm sure he doesn't want) and refuses to go back even when chased back to it.
    Do I have too many roosters for 10 hens?

2. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    Yes, the recommended ratio is 10 hens to 1 roo. If you have to many roos your girls will look ragged and worn from over mating. I have 2 roos and keep one in a bachelor pad at night and free ranging in my yard during the day.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, you probably have too many roosters for that many hens. He will not return to the coop as long as he is getting his butt kicked by the more dominant roosters.

4. hoppalongg

hoppalongg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Thanks for the help. I only orderd two but got 3 silver leghorns. Looks like I'm going to have to build him a bach pad. Any suggetions on how to get him out of the timber and closer to our house. I've been moving his food closer and closer to the house but he still roosts in the same area.

5. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I managed to get my guy into his bachelor pad by offering him treats after all of the other chickens were put in the run for the day. He likes bread so I would throw down a piece of bread and call him by making here is a treat type chicken noises. I would lead him to his own coop by making him come with the bread and then finally throw some in and he would go in and I would close the door behind him. After a few nights of this routine he figures out that, that was where he was supposed to roost. He really dosen't have a fancy set up just an old dog cage with a plastic lawn chair for him to roost on. I also keep his water and food in there. He seems to like it. I put the lawn chair in the middle of the cage so racoons can't reach him to rip his head off. When our other dog dies I am considering opening the ajoining cage and making another run and coop so he can have a few girls of his own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by