Rooster won't roost

Mountain Bear

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 26, 2012
At what age do chickens begin to roost? I have 20 chickens (11 hens 9 roosters) about 16 weeks. They have shown no interest in roosting. I have built a ladder with the first step only 6 inches, second is a little more than a foot high, and two more with the top about 3 1/2 feet.
Every night they gather in a corner to sleep but they show very little interest in roosting. Any advice?

chickenreferee

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
Statesville, NC
My cochins were whimps about roosting when they were young.

Perhaps they feel more secure lumped together, especially if you haven't had them long. Have you tried adding a short roost closer to the ground for them to test out? Just a board on a couple bricks?

I'm sure someone will come along with better advice, but hang in there. It just takes some chickens a little longer than others to get the idea, imo.

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
Mine never "roosted". I gave up and built a 14" lined with linoleum shelf for the crew to pile up. It worked out fabulous! I put a heater underneath the roost on low and they kept nice and warm.

We actually raised both shelves to the same height. I have an xl dog kennel with 3 new ones to integrate.

Top Bottom