1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster won't roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Shared Acres, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I have Chinese Silkies, and the rooster would rather hang out in the nesting box then sit on the large tree branch roost I made for him.

I know they can reach it, I have even seen the babies on it. And it's as thick or thicker then my arm. Once in a blue moon I'll see him and a girl up there.

But for the most part, at night, all the hens and the rooster hunker down in the plastic tub (with a hole on the side) egg box I have for them.

Is this ok?

I mean, I'm getting eggs. But I thought I read somewhere that the rooster shouldn't be in there with them all the time.

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I'm not sure about the advice about keeping the rooster out of the nestboxes "just because," but you're probably also noticing that they poop a lot in there at night. That can get old *real quick* once your hens start laying eggs.

A few thoughts...

- Is your coop cold? Maybe your birds aren't warm enough, so huddling in there is keeping them warm.

- Have you tried picking up the birds at night at putting them on their roost? Sometimes the chickens need to be trained, silly things that they are.

- Are the nestboxes pretty much the same height as the roost? Usually, chickens will roost in the highest spot.

- Is the roost sturdy? If it bends or moves, they may not like it.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

If they are fairly young, you may have to block off your nest boxes at night. Also, as mentioned above, make sure the roost is sturdy, higher than the boxes and it also helps to have a ramp or ladder to the roost. I had this problem with some of my teenagers, but I just blocked off the nests and they finally got the hang of it.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Some silkies don't like to roost and may never roost. Just pop him on it and if his crest isn't so big he can't see the roost, he'll get the message. May take a few weeks or a month of popping the little guys on there.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My roo is not a silkie but he always roosting with the girls at night. He loves it.

6. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    The roost is above the hen house and everyone seems to have figured out that the easiest way up there is to jump on the hen house and then climb on. But nobody really uses it.

I'm in Florida, so it's not really cold here.

My new Silky, Oprah, isn't much liked by the other girls, but even she climbs in the hen house at night So there are 4 grown chickens in an 18 gallon rubbermaid bin at night. (Oprah can't see to good because of her feathers, so I don't blame her for going in the hen house.)

Might have to either close it off at night or try putting him up there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by