Rooster won't use roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by woody1, Aug 15, 2011.

1. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    I have a rooster with 14 pullets and he roosts in the nestboxes every night. All the pullets use the roost but he still just goes in the nest boxes which are under the roost. I've been putting him on the roost after dark for a week or 10 days now. Tonight he was still in a nest box. I'm seriously tired of this and have never seen a chicken that didn't try to get as high as they could. He was not raised with these girls but he is the same age and has chosen them over the flock the was raised with. Any suggestions befiore he goes to freezer camp? Regards, Woody

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I wonder what would happen if the nest boxes were blocked at night?

3. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    can you move one of them? the roost to the other side or the boxes to the other side..

otherwise; I'd say block your openings to the boxes..but thats a pain too..

is it really hurting anything him being in there overnight???

4. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Since I am new to chickens I feel like I am missing something. Everyone seems to get so worked up about their chickens not roosting. What happens if they don't roost?

5. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    nothing IMO...I have like 4 hens that dont care to roost at ALL they are just happy and fine...huddling in a corner together..
    thats what they've done for months now...since its not causing harm...I leave'em be...

6. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    Quote:I don't care where he spends the night except in the nest box. He poops in the nest box and that messes up the eggs. Regards, Woody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by