Rooster won't walk?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kwalz07, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Kwalz07

Kwalz07 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Ok so I'm completely puzzled now. I have had a sick rooster for a week now. Took him to the vet yesterday and was given antibiotics as she thought he had a fever (which after reading some info idk if it was..thermometer stopped reading at 107?). I started his meds last night and have him separated in a crate in basement. I let him out today to look at him and what I thought was just lethargy is now to the point he won't walk and it seems like an effort to stand. His tail curls all the way to the ground and he just stands until he has to lay down :( . What's really going on? Thanks everyone

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Temp of 107 is normal for poultry. Has he been eating,has he been checked for crop issues such as impact or sour?

Describe "sick" symptoms that made you take him to vet.

3. Kwalz07

Jan 14, 2014
    Hi ten chicks! I pm'd u earlier to get your opinion. Well I noticed out of the blue he stopped crowing so I struck me as odd. Then he stopped grazing with the others and stays perched on bottom of coop. This def had me concerned. I've been been watching him for past wk now. I've gotten responses to check his crop..worms..lice..and respiratory issues. From my eyes all looked fine but he was having occ green poop..occ diarrhea. I called a vet and they agreed to see him. She said same thing I saw..nothing is obvious. He has been eating his food and ate some strawberries and some pasta last night and drinking. Now this morning he doesn't want to walk and when he stands his tail curls to the floor for a bit and he lays down :(

4. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I sent a message back. I am puzzled about the green poop,green usually indicates not eating(other than eating grass clippings etc,) His crop is full during the day(after eating all day)and empty in morning(before eating). Any issues with vent area?

What medication did your vet prescribe?

5. Kwalz07

Jan 14, 2014
    I'm in NY so it's still cold here so no grass yet. Vent is clean but this morning ad some poop there bc there is no perch in his cage. She put him on cipro twice a day for 7 days.

6. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Cipro is a strong bactericidal drug.

7. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Can you post a poop picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by