Rooster would rather starve than eat chicken food.

RandyTheRooster

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2016
So I have have a rooster who refuses to eat chicken feed, although he will eat table scraps. I keep a bowl of feed (changed every other day) in his coop, and feed him a treat (usually leftovers) once a day. I only feed him a small handful of treats estimated at 50-125 calories a day. In the last 2 months he has barely been touching his chicken feed, although he will beg for treats. I have noticed significant weight loss, a drooping comb, lethargy, and in the last few days, balance issues. Those are signs of malnutrition, which makes it seem like the rooster would rather starve than eat chicken feed.

I am very concerned for my roo's well being and want to know what I can do to help him.

RandyTheRooster

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2016
The rooster is pet I got from my grandmother several years ago. He has lived alone for the better part of his life. It smells earthy and I don't see any signs of mold. The 5 pound bag of Purina Flock Raiser that I bought a month ago has 8MAY15RPWA stamped on it?!!! Did the feed store sell me an expired bag?

Chickassan

Wattle Fondler
May 23, 2017
Greenville S.C, formerly Noneya U.S.A
Feed is very old, 2015 old. Get new feed.:) Cook him some rice or something in the meantime.
The rooster is pet I got from my grandmother several years ago. He has lived alone for the better part of his life. It smells earthy and I don't see any signs of mold. The 5 pound bag of Purina Flock Raiser that I bought a month ago has 8MAY15RPWA stamped on it?!!! Did the feed store sell me an expired bag?

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom