Rooster; young, or weird?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chixrus, Dec 1, 2008.

1. chixrus

chixrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    Hi! I recently acquired five hens and one rooster. My rooster is a brahma, (which I'm not used to) and so naturally, is very big. He rarely ever crows and if I try to touch him, he actually jumps over the hens to get away! He never mounts the hens either. I once even saw him in a nesting box! So, my main question is, do you think he's young, or is there a possibility that he's caponized? I'm also used to RIR roosters, which are naturally aggresive.
    chixrus
    P.S. His spurs are rather big, in case that helps.

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I seriously doubt he has been caponized. That would be a one in a million chance I would think. I can't say about his behavior sine I have never owned but one brahma and even that at a very short time. I sold him very young. Good luck. [​IMG]

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:sounds like hes just wild, You wont see him mounting hens if your around in that case as then he'd worry about you, as for crowing he may just be a quiet rooster. nesting box is normal as well. and so are not mounting the hens, this time of year most breeds have stopped laying unless they have a light on them, so he wouldn't have a chance anyway unless he was aggressive. and roosters often get in the nest box checking for bugs, warmth, trying to show hens. or just to play around in the hay, dirt, leaves, shavings whatever you have in there.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I wouldn't worry about him. I have two brahma roos. Although I can pick either of them up if I absolutely have to, they'd prefer I didn't. They don't fight it once I do pick them up, but they like to avoid it if possible. Both jump to get out of my way.
    My alpha roo will crow occasionally when I'm on around, my subordinate never crows if either the alpha or I'm around.
    Also, with the onset of winter both have cut way back on the amount of times they try to mate the hens. I'm sure they'll make up for lost time when springtime rolls around again.
    IMO, I'd say that your new rooster already senses that YOU are the alpha and he's just minding his Ps and Qs.
    ETA: If you need to handle him for a health check or whatever, I suggest you do it at night after the chickens have gone in to roost. If during the day I make note of something I need to check on with my roos I just wait and grab them up then after they've gone to roost.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by