1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by missbrit2006, Oct 10, 2015.

1. missbrit2006

missbrit2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    My three roosters crow all day long even when its dark why?

2. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    They are roosters! ;)

What breed?

It's their way of saying look at me, I'm great, so don't mess with me! ;)

Or I have __ ladies to take care of, I'm wonderful! ;)

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Generally crowing is used to define territory as well as to keep in touch with the other members, and as stated, as means of bragging.

4. missbrit2006

Mar 31, 2015
    Another question why is my rooster attacking me or kids today me and my 4 year old nephew were out side by the chickens and we turned around and the next thing the rooster hopped up wings expanded grabbed a hold of his back and kind of like wanted to attack you

5. missbrit2006

Mar 31, 2015
    And scratched him

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    He's a rooster, and he sees people as a threat to his flock. I, personally, would not keep or breed a rooster that shows aggression toward people. For your safety, as well as others, he needs to go. You need to be able to care for your flock without worrying about getting attacked.
    A good rooster is one that is respectful of you and your space.
    There are plenty of nice boys in need of homes, if you want to replace the aggressive ones.

7. missbrit2006

Mar 31, 2015

I have three roosters whom are aggressive! What should I do with them

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Honestly...Make soup. If you do sell them or give them away, do so with full disclosure as to their temperament. Aggressive roosters are hard to rehome, though. And since you've already invested your time, money, and feed in them; you might as well get a few meals for your family out of them.

1 person likes this.
  9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Your rooster is challenging you for top position, some roosters, especially ones handled a lot when chicks become confused as they get older and they think you are a part of the flock, as the rooster he's the dominant member of the flock, there are many ways to try to deal with such behavior, some work and some won't. It mostly falls upon the owner to be dominant.

I personally like tossing a plastic can towards my young roosters to help control unwanted behavior, some use a squirt bottle. You are probably past this and you need to dominate him, always carry a plastic rake, broom or poultry catching net so you can intercept any attacks and hopefully chase your rooster away, they should never come forward but wait back a bit and should move out of your way. Never give a rooster your back, always wait until he turns and isn't facing you before you leave and keep one eye on him at all times.

Some roosters just try attacking, others are in it until the end, with children involved I would get rid of the rooster, otherwise I would try to dominate him for a bit and if you are unsuccessful I would cull and try again, making sure to keep rooster chicks at a distant and slightly wary of you.

10. missbrit2006

Mar 31, 2015
    Thanks Lady's! That helped a lot I got him the beging of feburary so he's 8 months old won't he be to tough to eat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by