1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fchix9, May 1, 2016.

1. Fchix9

Fchix9 New Egg

May 1, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Here is "Crispy".... About a year old NewHampshire Red. We are still confused by gender... It was crowing last fall but stopped. No eggs but sits in lay box. Is it really possible to have such an androgynous bird? TIA

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I need a better picture.

3. burnout95

burnout95 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    Mayfield KY
    IV got a question about my roosters. I keep them penned up but every morning after there breakfast I get in my chair and I let them out to go forage. But thay wont get 5 feet away from me. Its like there worried to death im going to leave them. Thay remind me of a little kid.lol.. Can anybody tell me what there problem might be?

4. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Maybe some problems growing up.If they are that attached to you,then just walk them around the yard.

5. burnout95

burnout95 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    Mayfield KY
    IV only had them for two days. A woman gave them to me there about 4 months old and in great health. I originally got them to eat but there very sweet and loving well make a long story short I guess IV got 4 pet roosters.lol..

6. Fchix9

Fchix9 New Egg

May 1, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Here it is closer... Loves coming to the door to say hello [​IMG]

7. toomuch

toomuch Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    That's a rooster you could tell by the tail and comb. [​IMG]

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    It is a hen. Are you sure she is a year old and not older? Most crowing hens are older with hormonal imbalances.

1 person likes this.
  9. Fchix9

Fchix9 New Egg

May 1, 2016
    We raised them from day olds so I'm sure not older. In the fall we were woken w/crowing...now I'm even more confused... Crispy looks so different from the other NH red...

10. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Yup thats a hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by