Rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by charvan22, May 18, 2016.

1. charvan22

charvan22 In the Brooder

May 18, 2016
    I'm raising chickens for the first time and have this guy that I want to make sure is a rooster before giving him away. We aren't allowed to keep roosters where I live :( he is super social and friendly so bummed to loose him. He is 8 weeks old, but to me looks like a rooster since he was about 3 weeks old. He is an Easter egger. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC -- yes, at 8 weeks that bird is definitely a cockerel.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I would not advertise him as an Easter Egger as he is not showing any of the characteristics (pea comb, bearding, green legs) that would be associated with him potentially having blue egg genetics that could be employed in breeding for colored laying offspring --

4. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, you have a cockerel. If you really want to keep him, why not look into trying a no-crow collar? If he doesn't crow, or he's too quiet that no one hears him, would that work ?

5. charvan22

charvan22 In the Brooder

May 18, 2016
    I bought all of my day old chicks from someone who stated the chicks where all Easter eggers. I really am new to this so can you tell me more why you don't think he is? Just curious?

6. charvan22

charvan22 In the Brooder

May 18, 2016
    [​IMG] here is another picture of him

7. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    He isn't an Easter Egger. While EEs aren't a breed they do have common characteristics. One is a pea comb, which is closely linked to the blue egg gene. Yours has a single comb. EEs tend to have beards/muffs. Yours does not. EEs generally have green legs. Yours has yellow.

8. charvan22

charvan22 In the Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Thanks for the info. The lady I bought from said that they all hatched from blue, green or pinkish eggs. I should post pics of the other chickens and see what you guys think. Is he just a random mixed breed?

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  9. charvan22

charvan22 In the Brooder

May 18, 2016
    [​IMG] what do you think of this one? Also supposed to be Easter egger. Unsure if hen or roo

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    He is handsome! EE's are all mixes, but do tend to have green legs and pea combs. Single combs are recessive, so they can turn up in these mixes, as can smooth faces rather than muffs. I don't know the genetics of leg color. I did read somewhere that green egg color, while dominant, is less likely to be passed on along with recessive single combs. If you like him, and he's a good boy, there's no reason he can't work out for someone who's also happy with a non-purebred. He came from EE stock, and will produce 'who knows?' Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by