Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by beckabean11405, Jun 1, 2016.

1. beckabean11405

beckabean11405 New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    A family friend gave us 5 chickens when they were about 4-6 weeks old. We were told they were all hens and now I'm wondering if "Fifi" (my kids named them) is really a hen.
    Until we build our chicken yard they're let out of the coop twice a day and this one is very pushy to the rest of the girls and never lets them get too far. We were planning on getting a rooster anyway but now I want to make sure so we don't end up with two and having to find someone a home. [​IMG]

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Great to have another poultry lover!
    Looks like a hen it might just be the leader.

3. MagicMarcy66

MagicMarcy66 Out Of The Brooder

Hey I am just completely floored right now....we have 4 black sex link hens, and now all of the sudden this morning I hear this pathetic attempt at a Rooster crow. Are you serious??? This chicken lays eggs and wants to take my hand off when I attempt to collect eggs if it's in the lay box. What is going on here??? This chicken has a huge comb like a Rooster, but a hens body. What the heck!!!

Has anyone ever experienced this?

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    @beckabean11405 thats a pullet

@MagicMarcy66 could you post a picture of it? What color is it?

5. MagicMarcy66

Her it is up close. It was just in the lay box and I ran in to get my phone and came back and she was out in the yard.

[/IMG]

6. MagicMarcy66

[​IMG]

7. MagicMarcy66

[​IMG]

8. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    That's a hen (though if I only saw the head and not the whole body I would definitely think you have a possible rooster), some hens do get aggressive. Do you have a rooster in your flock? If not, some hens do try and take the place of one (including crowing).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  9. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Hens
    Hens can crow

10. MagicMarcy66

I thought she was a hen for sure, but never knew hens could crow. It's not a strong crow like our rooster had, but a feeble attempt....lol!!!

She is quite bossy with the other girls but they can get bossy with her too. No feather plucking or beating up, just fluffy neck feathers and stand offs.

Thank you everyone for your quick responses and help. I really do appreciate it.

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by