1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by M1choacan, Jun 2, 2016.

1. M1choacan

M1choacan New Egg

Jun 2, 2016
    I bought a hen for my rooster they mated for 3 days and the rooster disappeared will the hen still lay his eggs and how long till she starts laying eggs could someone help me out.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] What do you mean, the rooster disappeared? I'm sorry to hear you lost him. Sorry, I have a questions for you, before we can help…

How old is your hen? Was she actively laying before and when did she stop?

Layers store sperm for 3+ weeks after a successful mating, so if she's laying, or starts laying soon, the eggs should be fertile for ± 3-4 weeks. Are you planning to hatch them and have you got an incubator?

1 person likes this.
  3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC.

CT

4. M1choacan

M1choacan New Egg

Jun 2, 2016
    The hen is like 9 months what do u recommend me should I let the hen sit on the eggs when she lays them or get a incubator?

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    She won't sit on the eggs unless she is broody and that is hormonal, can happen any moment, or never and absolutely everything in-between. Different hens and breeds are all different and it's impossible to predict broodiness, unless you have a Silkie. If life gives those birds lemons, they'll try to hatch them. Sometimes when you leave the eggs in the nest, a hen will go broody and hatch them, but the odds are pretty low. I've had only had some success with that over the years. If you really want to hatch the eggs, I'd suggest you get an incubator, but first she needs to start laying again. When last did she lay an egg?

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. What breed is your hen?

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by