Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kylestow, Jan 8, 2017.

1. kylestow

kylestow Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2017
    Would it be ok to put a Brahma rooster with Barred Rock and New Hampshire Red hens?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    There is no reason *not* to put them together -- if you were to hatch any chicks from the hens you would have some interesting barnyard mixes.

1 person likes this.
  3. kylestow

kylestow Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2017
    I was concerned with the size of the Brahma rooster I am trying to decide what to start my flock off with.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    For what it's worth, I have had Brahma roosters, and they were some of the most gentle ones I've ever had. I'm not sure what you're worried about with their size...

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Unless the hens in question are bantam variety for the breeds you listed, there is no reason to be concerned. While the Brahma will be larger than the hens (and if these are hatchery stock birds even that may not be as much of an issue as even the "giant" breeds such as brahmas end up somewhat watered down with regards to size), it is not likely to be any sort of issue.
    It may be easier to offer more advice if you can explain what your goals with the flock you are starting are. Knowing where you want to take your flock will make it easier to determine what your best choices will be.

6. kylestow

kylestow Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2017
    That's what we want is a gentle rooster due to us having children in the home

7. kylestow

kylestow Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2017
    Honestly because the wife wants them for eggs

8. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    If you have kids in the home and just want a flock for eggs then don't bother having a rooster at all. The hens will lay eggs without a rooster.

9. kylestow

kylestow Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2017
    I know that I would just like to have one

10. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts

Since you don't seem to mind the feathered feet, have you considered Cochins? They are known to be a friendly and gentle breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by