Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by slkyldy4evr, Jan 19, 2017.

1. slkyldy4evr

slkyldy4evr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    I have a rooster that is 19 weeks old as of today and I've had him since he was a day old. He is very sweet and loves to be pet, but sometimes he will like skip sideways at me and lightly peck me, but I don't think it's aggressive, what should I do to get him to stop the pecking, it's not a problem at the moment but I don't want it to become one.
    Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    What you have is a cockerel that is starting to test his boundaries with you. Now is the time to let him know that you are the boss. Stop petting him, and start working him. When you are out with your chickens, walk toward him until he walks away. Walk right where he is. If he doesn't move fast enough, chase him. Control where he goes, move him away from the feeder when you're out there, do not let him get comfortable with you. There are many, many posts on here about how a "sweet" pet rooster seemingly turned into a monster overnight because their keeper didn't recognize the signs.

2 people like this.
  3. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    It sounds like he is just showing off to you. It shouldn't be a problem.

4. slkyldy4evr

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    I haven't pet him in about a week and a half because I've been trying to do that, and he has gotten better, but is there anything else I can do to "tame" him

5. GoldenFlight

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    That's good. Spending too much time with him maybe was the problem. Not that I know of, sorry.

6. slkyldy4evr

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    Well I spent only like 5 minutes a day in the run to feed water and close up the coop but now that I'm with him more, him (and his girls) all have warmed up to me more

7. GoldenFlight

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Oh, okay... Maybe I was wrong. That's good to hear![​IMG]

8. slkyldy4evr

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    I'm gonna try to get a video of his wierd jumpy thing that he does tomorrow, it's whenever I come in the run but eventually he chills out

9. GoldenFlight

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Okay, great!

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    This bears repeating --- and I do hope you will read it and really absorb what is being said.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by