Rooster

Pennychickens1

Songster
8 Years
9 Years
Aug 27, 2014
So when you know that you have roosters When they are chicks do you cull right away or let them grow an hope to give away? I ask myself all the time what’s the right choice?

The right choice is what’s right for you. Roosters can be hard to give away and saying he will go to the stewpot is easier said than done when he gets older and you start to love him or don’t have the stomach for it. If you choose to raise them you’ve got to face the reality that you may be stuck with them or forced to kill them. Hardly any chicken keeper out there will fault you regardless of the decisions you make because they are the reality of raising chickens. You’re not morally wrong if you dispatch them, give them away, eat them, burry them, etc..

I bought sexed pullets because I wanted to start with a hen-only flock this year and not get any roosters until we have larger facilities constructed next year.

It looks like one of my Light Brahmas is a probably male. *sigh*

If he is a cockerel then he's on probation. If he's a good boy, not aggressive, good to the hens, etc. he'll get to be a flock rooster. If he's not a good boy then he'll be invited to dinner.

This will be subject to reevaluation next year when I expand the flock because, while I love Brahmas for their beauty, the rooster is half the flock genetics and I might not want all my chickens carrying Brahma traits. I had been thinking of a Delaware rooster, a French Black or Cuckoo Marans rooster, or a Whiting True Blue rooster in my preliminary planning.

Back
Top Bottom