Rooster

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chillicothechick, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Chillicothechick

Chillicothechick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    We picked up our last batch of chicks on February 23. They are all growing at the same rate except for three which are about half the size of the others. Does that mean they are roosters? We only ordered pullets and don't want fertilized eggs.

2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I've had chicks of the same breed that are different sizes. My little runt is still smaller than my others. I have ordered pulllets before and got a few roo's though. My last batch I got 2 roos that were not suppose to be.

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I agree, the smaller ones don't necessarily mean rooster although you can get roos by accident.

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I would not choose sex based on size rather wait until they start showing their boy features. Just curious why no fertilized eggs?

5. Chillicothechick

Chillicothechick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    We only want the eggs for food and to sell. Don't want to take the chance of someone cracking open and egg and having a surprise....

Is there something I should know about fertilized eggs?

6. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The chance of surprise would likely not happen if you collect your eggs on a daily basis and refrigerate them. Fertilized and non-fertilized eggs are no different in taste!

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Vent sexing is only guaranteed 90%, you should always have a Plan B for any unwanted roosters whenever you order chicks. But size may not be an indicator of gender. The first signs are usually redder combs that are larger than the others'. Their wattles often begin to show sooner & redder too. I think they look cute like that, like gawky young teenagers sprouting their first beard hairs. By about 9 weeks you may see their pointy hackle (neck) and sadddle (in front of the tail) feathers beginning to sprout, part their feathers at those places & look for them emerging from their skin.

Fertilized eggs look & taste like unfertilized eggs. They don't begin to develop unless they were kept under constant moist heat, conditions you'd find in an incubator or under a setting broody hen. They won't begin to develop in a nest box shared by many hens, or on the counter, or even if left accidently in the nest for a few days.

Many people like keeping a roo or two with their laying flock, a good ratio is 1:10-12 hens.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you don't have two feeders you might want to consider adding a second one. Bigger, bossier chicks can literally starve out smaller chicks by chasing them away from the feeder before they've had a chance to get their fill.

9. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I have 49 chicks in the brooder currently and one if the salmon faverolles is TINY! She is definitely female since SFs can be sexed by color! Don't let size fool ya...some are just slower to mature. My little one is healthy and active...her body just needs to catch up with those long wing feathers she has grown in!

ETA: Gritsar has good point as well, however, it is not always the case. My SF is ALWAYS eating! But, definitely watch out for dominant chicks that hog the food since that can very well be the case.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by