Rooster

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickanddoglvr, Nov 1, 2010.

1. chickanddoglvr

chickanddoglvr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Cincinnati Oh
    My dad's friend has chickens and he had a rooster that everyone hated. I have herd that all chickens are not like that. I was wonder what are upsides and downsides to getting a rooster. Do they protect the flock or not? anything else would be great.

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Some roosters are mean, while most are friendly. I have yet to see a mean buff orpington rooster. Mine would come up to me to be petted.

3. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    Our RIR hens where mean as a snake to each other and my EEs so we put them by themselves and the bickering continued then I bought a large RIR roo from a friend and that calmed them down. We had tried a few of our roos but they would beet them up. The nice part is I will be able to set thier eggs now instead of having to buy eggs.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  4. bunnibird55

bunnibird55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I love my NH roo's - King Strut, and his sons Ike and Mike! Strut is a perfect gentleman with the girls and takes great care of them and is very nice to us humans. Only once did he try to challenge me and I followed some advice I found on BYC and made him back down. Perfect since then! Ike and Mike are a bit young yet and get a little rowdy with the girls, but it appears they are learning a lot from dad! For one thing, they are NOT to touch his special girls! They are also very nice to humans - they are 8 months old and have never made one nasty move to us. Mike is my special buddy and just loves to be held and carried all around the farm!!!! I have some Banty Buff Cochin roo's that are not very polite to their ladies yet but they would never take on the big old mean human hen!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by