Rooster

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by crystal1957, Dec 6, 2010.

1. crystal1957

crystal1957 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Would like to fatten up my rooster. He's a Rhode Island Red, and will be 3 years old in March. Vet said he was a bit thin and she would like a little extra weight on him. She said to feed him anything he will eat... Not sure I agree with that...

I have been giving him some dry cat food, chopped up, along with his regular grain feed. A bit of scrambled eggs, yogurt.

How can I get some extra weight on him that is healthy? I have 6 cats and sharing the cat food is getting expensive...

2. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Just do what half of Americans do to get fat: feed him a lot of carbohydrates! Such as a 4~5 grain scratch. For health; give him bugs 'n' grubs, as well as weeds in the yard (especially dandelion).

Best wishes!

ETA: Funny thing is, I'm personally in the same boat. I wanted to trim some fat off my body. So, I went on a super high fat, low carb, diet. Well; I lost 20+ pounds in about two months. LOL; more loss than I wanted; so now I'm eating a bit more carbs (starting this last week).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  3. blue creek chicken man

blue creek chicken man Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2010
    Billings
    corn

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:X2

5. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Try suet blocks laced with corn, seeds, some even come with peanut butter. They're like Big Macs for birds and you can buy them by the box 8 or 10 to a box for a reasonable price.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:If you got him from a hatchery he will most likely never get heavy and be a little on the thin side.

Now please don't take this the wrong way. I am not knocking people that bring the chickens to a Vet. but most vets [unless they have a background in poultry] know very little about poultry.
    Example -
    When your vet told you to, " feed him anything he will eat "

Now, Question for you. [​IMG] How would you describe his weight? Do you feel a little of his breast bone or a lot What type of feed are you feeding him and what is the protein amount?
    When was the last time he was wormed with a good poultry wormier? Does he have mites?

If he has been wormed recently and has no mites you can give him some Whole Oats and Wheat along with a little corn with his regular feed.

Chris

7. crystal1957

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Chris--Rooster has been wormed, and checked recently. bony breast bone. he weighed in at 8.8 lbs, vet said he should be 11 lbs. He looked fine to me though. 16% protein in feed.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  8. crystal1957

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Rooster almost died after being at the County Fair--the morning I took him to the vet he was almost lifeless and limp in my arms. After some meds, etc. he was crowing in a day or two and now he is his old self--weight is coming back on, but he is eating so much cat food... he doesn't like oats or wheat. Was trying not to buy scratch grain as I buy so many bags of laying feed for the hens...Wanted something on a regular basis that I could feed him to keep the weight on. A suggestion of something I had in the house that I didn't have to buy extra. He won't eat oats or wheat...

I refuse to give him Christmas cookies [​IMG]

9. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Quote:I've neen buying the "special of the week" suet package for my few (2) adult birds. I break off a piece for them each day, for a good energy boost to supplement the fewer bugs we have around this time of year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by