Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flood1964, Dec 8, 2010.

1. flood1964

flood1964 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Hi,
    I have about 8 hens right now in my backyard coop. I live in the suburbs and would like to get a rooster, my dilema is, I wish to be considerate of my neighbors. any advice on managing this situation would be greatly appreciated.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Are you allowed to have a rooster where you are?
    If so, there honestly is no way to stop them from crowing whenever they feel like it. Most mornings, my boys start crowing at 4:30 am-as soon as the lights come on in the house-and they are in a coop about an acre away from the house.
    A good rooster is an awesome addition to your flock.

3. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I'm pretty new so I don't know how qualified I am to comment. Also, I have a neighbor who hates my rooster--but that aside, my rooster rarely crows. I've heard him crow a couple of times at 5:30am in the winter but nothing afterward. The most noise he makes is if he has lost track of his girls and he is trying to find them. They usually ignore him -- poor guy. He is a Buff Orpington and I got him partly because of the breed's reputation for not crowing a great deal. We love him dearly. He is a sweet soul and really more gentle than the girls. He makes having chickens so much more entertaining.

4. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i wish i could have a rooster [​IMG] but i'm illegal as it is! [​IMG]

5. Amigatec

Amigatec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Haskell Oklahoma
    There are some wild chickens about 2 blocks away from me, I live in a small town. Well my Roo starts crowing in the morning the wild Roo down the street will answer him.

6. flood1964

flood1964 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Yes, It's legal to keep a rooster, I just don't want to offend my neighbors.

7. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    We have a 20 week old black copper marans and he still isn't crowing. We are illegal as it is, so we will have to get rid of him as soon as he crows but it will be such a sad day because he is nicer than most cats! There aren't any other chickens for miles so maybe he never will be very noisy.

8. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    i think its dumb that some cities dont allow roosters, yet dogs that bark at ALL HOURS of the night for any reason are ok

9. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:I have to agree. We have 3 dogs (1 is a beagle) and they are truly loud. It is sort of the neighborhood joke. They sleep inside though so I guess the difference is the 4 am noise. Still crossing my fingers for a non-verbal rooster.

10. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    I hatched my roo, and so my neighbors got to be accustomed to his crows as they developed. They all love him and the girls. Most of my neighbors are older and grew up with chickens, so it brings back good memories for them from when they were kids. My roo crows so long as there is light. If even one of my neighbors lights are on at night, he will cluck and crow... as if trying to tell them to turn it off so he can sleep. Otherwise he crows from first sunlight until the sun is back down and it's nice and dark. If you want to control how early your roo crows, you may want to invest in a blind. What I mean is... keep the chickens locked in the coop at night, and heavily cover all nooks and crannies, windows, and doorways so that NO light gets through. Taking it down (or opening it) when you're ready to start the day. This isn't a sure way to stop the early morning crow, but better than any. Your only other choices are... get a rooster, let him crow whenever, so what what the neighbor thinks OR don't get a rooster, and you don't have to worry about the neighbor at all. (I would get the rooster. They are so entertaining!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by