Rooster ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tressa27884, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    I love this group! You always have the answer, so here goes;
    I have a variety of hens about half are bantams and half are standards. I recently hired a petting zoo where they brought a bunch of little bantams for the kids to play with. My son fell in love with a little barred leghorn boy and the people who brought them gave him to my son. We integrated him into the flock and he's done just fine.

Yesterday a neighbor called and told me that she needs to regime her three. She has a black sex link female, a production red female and an unknown rooster. I've been around all of them (as have my kids) and they're all really nice birds.....so here's the question. Can I add her three to my flock? The total would be 15 hens and two roosters. Are the roosters going to kill each other? Is there a way to prevent that from happening? Is there anyway to know for sure?

Thanks! My current flock are all really young - the girls aren't yet laying, the new flock are more mature if that makes a difference.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:First, 15 hens and 2 roos should be ok-the best ratio is 10 hens to 1 roo.
    Second, Are you sure her birds are healthy and free of diseases? I wouldn't add them until you look them over for obvious issues-lice-mites-sneezing-snotty nose-swollen eyes etc...Then if you do take them I would quarantine away from your birds for 30 days to make sure they aren't ill and harboring illnesses. After that Fence them off from the others but close enough so they can see and interact with eachother. the best way to integrate is to wait until you are home with them to let them all out to free range together. See how that goes-If all is well your golden!

3. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    My flock spends the better part of each day free ranging - so that's what I'll do. Our chickens have only ever been separated by a wood fence, so am I right to assume that he risk of chicken cooties is greatly reduced?

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Since your chickens are young and hers are mature, I'd watch your little cockerel pretty closely to make sure he doesn't get the snot beat out of him...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by