Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ricbme, Jul 24, 2011.

1. ricbme

ricbme New Egg

Apr 23, 2011
    I have 12 hens of assorted breeds all laying eggs. 1/4 acre free range with locked coop at night. Do I need a rooster? What are the pros and cons? I'm not interested in raising chicks.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The rooster will help protect the hens from predators and will manage any bully hen you might have. He will find treats for them, and call them to eat them. You don't need one, but they sure are pretty, too!

3. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I got a rooster by 'accident' when the 25 hens I bought turned into 24 hens and one rooster. I kept him and am so glad I did. He did all the good things roosters do and fertilized my eggs. I bought an egg brooder and had chicks to sell after that. One night a raccoon came into the coop and he put up a fight. I heard the noise and ran to see what the problem was. The raccoon took off but the damage was done. He died latter the next day. I have reinforced the coop and bought another rooster. i never thought about it before I had gotten him but after having one, I'll always have one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by