1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Vamvakas, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    I got him from a rescue farm about few weeks ago. I know he's a turken but any differant mix in him? He just dosnt look like the average turken roo.

[​IMG]
    I did not take this pic btw person on the farm did before they gave him to me

2. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Buttercup (comb) and Polish (crest)

3. 123ChickieLou

123ChickieLou Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Louisiana
    Just a thought- If he were fully feathered down the neck, would that still really look like a crest such as that of a polish? To me it wouldn't, fully feathered, it wouldn't look like a crest. Again, just a thought.

eta- I've never seen a "turken" so that's really interesting. And that on second look, I can see a bit of a crest.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    that is one crazy looking rooster! I would probably guess polish x too...

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Polish/turken X.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Likely Polish x Turken and then to another breed. He has a lot of body size and fluff to be just a two-way cross, plus his "bowtie" is also pretty big for a two-way/F1 cross.

7. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    He's also crazy in the head, he used to be nice to other younger roosters, but when I put him into the cage with the hens and a few young roo his personality changed alot and he's attacking the young rooster in there lol.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  8. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    lol his insides match his outsides! Naw, I just think he is working out the pecking order...now that there is something worth fighting for!

9. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Actually, I retract the Buttercup statement. Polish do have 'V' combs, but that's caused by a Recessive (peacomb) and a Dominant gene (double blade). So an F1 cross would look like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by