Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by okiechick27, Jul 26, 2013.

1. okiechick27

okiechick27 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Ok this is my chicken in question. It was marked as a pullet at the feed store, even had the wing clip. It is around 11 weeks old. The comb is definitely redder and bigger than my other Easter egger. This one is a little bigger than everyone else and also a little more aggressive towards everyone else. It's the first one to check out what I've got, then stays on the outskirts of the group. And it's crowed a few times.
    If it is a rooster, I also had a surprise banty rooster that we are attached to and I'm wondering about having 2 roosters together? Especially with one being a banty? I have 10 chickens total, 2 are banty. Thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Roo if its crowing xD

You can keep 2 Roos if they're raised together, but 1:4 ratio isn't the best for 2 Roos. If you can get a few more hens, that'd help. But some roosters are especially gentle on hens so if you want you can just wait and see if its enough girls

3. maran man 32

maran man 32 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Yup rooster and I sleek from experience on two rooster I have a huge blue copper french maran rooster and a little black cochin rooster and they are the best of friends and actually the bantam is the alpha so I wish you the best of luck but it all really depends on your hen count to because of over fertilization and roughness

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Cockerel I think.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Rooster. Heres how to tell:

Well, its crowing, so that indicates a male (mature hens do sometimes crow if they are high in the pecking order, have no rooster in the flock, or have something wrong with their reproductive system.

The color pattern. Male easter eggers tend to be that black and white pattern, and often develop red/orange patches on their wings.

Comb. At this age, a female would probably have the same sized comb, but it wouldn't be pink.

And, finally, the thick legs. Males of all chicken breeds tend to have thicker legs than the pullets.
    I hope that this information helps for future reference. [​IMG]

And, in response to your question, I would not keep two roosters together if one is a bantam and the other is a large fowl. The large fowl rooster would not only be overly dominating to the smaller one, but he could also seriously injure a small bantam hen.

6. okiechick27

okiechick27 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Thanks everyone! I've had a feeling this was a roo from early on. I think I'll see how the two roo's do and if its not working out my mom will take my banty babies, even though we are super attached to the little roo:(. He is very friendly and loves my daughter, but I don't want him to get hurt.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Cockerel.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    X2