Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rachel1977, Aug 18, 2013.

1. rachel1977

rachel1977 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2013
    I have a rooster an 19 hens was supposed to be 20 hens well anyways my rooster an hens are about 7 months or so well as my rooster gets older now he's starting to jump at people like he wants to attack but he doesn't yet I don't have the heart to kill him I don't know if it will get worse they free range during the day an cooped at night I know he's protecting the hens but I have kids that play outside during the day an I can't have him be mean the chicken thing is new to me it's my first year an I'm not sure what to do I only wanted hens but he must of been miss sexed please tell me what to do I have no idea [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Nip this in the bud. The next time he jumps at you, pin him to the ground with your hand. He might freak out, he might scream, but just pin him until he stops struggling and is calm. Let him up after he's been calm for a while, and if he jumps again, repeat the process. Have everyone he jumps at do this, even the kids. See if this improves his attitude. If he's not attacking yet, you want to stop this before it gets to that point.

3. rachel1977

Mar 30, 2013
    Thank u I will give it a try if I can catch him lol

4. rachel1977

Mar 30, 2013
    I have a feeling that I want to just to rehome my rooster I think it will be in my families best interest

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Roosters and small children do not mix well, especially an already aggressive one. Small children make erratic movements, high pitch noises, etc that trigger a rooster to feel the need to protect his flock. My roosters are fenced in and only let out under supervision. My youngest, even at 10, it not allowed to go in the coop/run without me. My current roosters have never attacked anyone, but they are animals that are not predictable.

I had (notice the tense of the word) a rooster that would attack me and only me. He was fine with the kids, my DH, strangers - but he would seek out to attack me. The flogging happens lightening fast. I have been hit at hip level, and I'm 5'8". That is face level for a small child. I've also had a puncture wound through jeans from his spurs. One day, I was bent over refilling waterers - and he went for my head. He was gone after that.

6. rachel1977

Mar 30, 2013
    I think i am just going to try an find him a new home maybe with someone that has another rooster that maybe can get him in line lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by