Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IloveBuffy, Dec 9, 2013.

1. IloveBuffy

IloveBuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2013
    My BO rooster Buffy used to love me. He used to follow me, come when called, stuff like that. And the night one of our chickens got killed by one of our dogs, he was suddenly skittish. He runs away from me whenever I came near him and stuff like that. Maybe ha got freaked out or something at the sound of that chicken being killed. But now, six months later, he is still skittish. He only comes when I have a pitcher full of scratch. How do I make him like me again?

2. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    With chickens there's no "Right Answer" to this question, because there are no 2 chickens EXACTLY alike. Typically after a traumatizing event like that it could take a while but some never fully recover. I say that not to discourage you but to add a sense of reality to the situation.

I would start by striking a non aggressive and non predatory stance. I would recommend sitting in the coop as close to Buffy as possible and hold the feed in my hand. As he gains courage to eat from your hand then slowly move it closer to your body until he is right next to you then slowly try to touch him. If he pulls away or steps back just stop and resume just feeding him. You may have to do this for several weeks before you see any improvement but it should help. I've seen people break the toughest old birds with this trick.

I really do hope this works for you and Buffy because I know what i t means to have a good lovable docile rooster in the mix. Good Luck!!

P.S. I LOVE BUFF ORPINGTONS!!

3. IloveBuffy

Dec 8, 2013
    OK, thanks. Only thing is, there are 15 other feed-crazy chickens out there with him[​IMG]

4. IloveBuffy

Dec 8, 2013
    I tried it today, but the problem was, about 5 hens and Percy were crowding in on me, and when Buffy got near, a random hen would hiss and peck him[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  5. handyman42

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    Is there any way to separate him from the hens? Or keep them at bay at the least?

6. IloveBuffy

Dec 8, 2013
    Yes, somehow chase him into the coop.

7. handyman42

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    Well if you could get him alone away from pesky hens I'd try feeding him by hand for a while and seeing if he'll warm back up to you. I wouldn't recommend chasing him into the coop if he's already having trust issues though. lol.

8. IloveBuffy

Dec 8, 2013
    OK, should I buy mealworms?

9. handyman42

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    Chickens do especially love mealworms so it's worth a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by