Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by prose15, Jan 7, 2014.

1. prose15

prose15 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Tennessee
    I am ordering about 15 chickens this spring to go along with the five hens I already have. I was also thinking about ordering one rooster. Any breed ideas would be great. Also, any techniques on how to keep him from going after people? I feel like 20+ hens would keep him busy. [​IMG]

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    If you want a more docile rooster, then the general rule is the heavier the friendlier. Good breeds include Cochin and Orpington.

To keep him from attacking you, you must establish yourself at the top of the pecking order. If he ever goes after you, then grab the skin on his neck and pin him to the ground. You can also do this at random other times. Another good thing to do is to grab him when he attacks you and carry him around as you do your chicken chores. I hope this helps!

3. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    We had 4 Jersey Giant roos- 3 died young (first dog) and the 4 th died last week -- a huge mature, beautiful bird - but not docile, he would occasionally attack ( and hated my daughter, who is soo relieved that the new puppy killed him).... so just my experience on the Jersey Giants-- ours free ranged and he was a great flock protector though...

4. prose15

Jul 22, 2013
    Tennessee
    Thanks, probably leaning towards Buff Orpington so that the offspring would lay well, depending on the mother.

5. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Roosters usually are fine. I've only had one that was mean, and he was an orpington mix. It just depends on the breed, and how it was raised. I don't advise coddling it, I find it makes it worse.

I've probably raised a few hundred roosters in the past couple of years for meat, and some if lucky were kept to keep the flock. The best rooster I had was a Rhode Island Red/Orpington mix. He was a gentle giant, but would fight for the hens. I've had two Orpington roosters, and they were dumber than a box of rocks. But they weren't mean. Then my mixes were always great, and my current White Rock and Delaware roos do good. They just loathe on another. But they are good with us and do alright with the girls.

6. daphneysmamma

daphneysmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    erwin , NC
    I agree not to over coddle..as I was advised in another thread. I didn't listen and ended up rehoming my fav pet rooster BC he was quite aggressive to the other chickens ..even hens..and my teacup yorkie .. he wanted it just all about him..

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    It is not fail proof, but I do think that a rooster that is raised as chick in an established flock of older hens is nicer. If you have a hen go broody, and slip those chicks under her, she will raise them up in the flock, and the rooster will not be dominant for a longer time period. The older hens will be, and will teach him some manners.

It doesn't always work, roosters are a crap shoot, but my best roo was raised like this. My worst rooster was raised with just flock mates, whom he quickly outgrew, and became dominant over when he was too young..... or maybe just bad genes?

My current roo, seems destined to be a sweat heart so far, but you really can't tell with a rooster til they are nearly a year old..... and even then always beware, especially if there are children.

Mrs K

8. prose15

Jul 22, 2013
    Tennessee
    Mailing my order tomorrow. I decided on 14 vatious breeds of pullets and a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte rooster. They will be delivered in June. Hopefully everything will go week

9. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Exciting!!! Don't you wish you could pick them out and get them right away!? :)

10. prose15

Jul 22, 2013
    Tennessee
    Yes!! Do you have any experience with Meyer Harchery?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by