Roosters 7mos old - Auracanas? Sell 'em or Stew 'em?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FarmerCarl, Feb 28, 2009.

1. FarmerCarl

FarmerCarl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    West Michigan
    I bought some young roos so I could get the two Buff Orpington roosters in the group, now I have these 3 extra roos running around and I don't want/need them.

They were sold to me as Araucanas. Don't know 'nuff 'bout it to be sure. Do they look like it to you?

What you might not be able to see in the pictures....Eyes are reddish orange to pale orange, rumpless, legs are drab green, one has lighter legs but still greenish, no wattles on any, no tufts on any, beaks are light yellowish (natural?).

Here are the pics of the three. Do they look like true Araucana's?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should I sell 'em OR eat 'em?

I also got this guy. He's a RIR crossed with Araucana. Don't need him either, but he's the most successful with the hens. They like him. ;-) The girls are RIR's too.

[​IMG]

2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    They appear to have beards making them not true Araucanas . They seem to be a mix of Ameraucana or EE with a Araucana . The muffs are not allowed in the country for the breed standard .

Nice looking birds though

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    They are Easter Eggers [​IMG]

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    I would try craigslist or post on here where you are. Do they seem meaty to you? Those combos usually aren't really meaty. I'd save the RIR cross if he's good with the girls [​IMG]
    Good Luck, they are pretty birds!

5. Four Acre Bliss

Four Acre Bliss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Virginia
    Number 2 and 3 are gorgeous. Don't eat them, someone will definitely pay for them.

6. FarmerCarl

FarmerCarl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    West Michigan
    Quote:Why, thank you Four Acre Bliss! I think they're pretty too. The pictures don't show how beautiful they really are.

I hope I can sell them, because I don't really want to butcher them.

Hey! maybe I could trade them for a hen. Ya think?

Laskaland: They aren't real scrawny, but they aren't meaty either. Dressed out they would weigh maybe 3 to 3 1/2 lbs. Just a guess. They would probably make a nice stewed bird for dumplings or some such thing.

I think I'll post them for sale on here. What should I ask for them? I'm in Michigan. I would trade too, for a BO hen or a broody hen.

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Don't eat them! They're too pretty for that! Someone would surely want a very pretty roo if they aren't mean. Rumpless are awesome!

8. Four Acre Bliss

Four Acre Bliss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Virginia
    Looking at these pics in better lighting now ... whoever buys number 3 needs to name him Fabio. He's got that long blond "mane" and tan body, haha .... I wish I could take him but we're too far away and our coop isn't finished yet.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  9. ra

ra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    if they have good meat on them eat them.

10. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    I wish I could have roos!!! They sure are beautiful guys!!!

sandyj

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by