Roosters affecting egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by adoptthem, Jul 17, 2011.

1. adoptthem

adoptthem New Egg

Apr 4, 2011
    So what was supposed to have been 6 hens, I ended up with 3 roosters and 3 hens. My hens have not laid a single egg yet. they are about 22 weeks old and nothing. Could the fact that I have 3 roosters be affecting the hens or causing them to not lay?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    It's possible that they just are not quite yet ready to lay. But, I'm also wondering with the percentage of cockerals to pullets if they are being pestered out of their minds. [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Continual harrassment and stress caused by gang breeding roosters can definately affect egg production and actually result in physical damage to the pullets.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  4. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

This spring I added 8 straight run babies to my flock of 6 1-y/o hens. Out of the newbs I got 3 hens and 5 roos. As soon as the mating began, my big girls all dropped in egg production and 1 went immediately broody. It has taken about a month to get everybody back on track, again. Now it is time for the little girls to start getting ready to lay, and time to dispatch the remaining 3 roos who are too many for my flock.
    Definitely, the stress of being repeatedly bred will unnerve even the most calm of hens.

5. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    I would add that I think hens in confinement are all-round happier without any rooster. They just seem calmer and more content. If they free range, they don't mind because they can get away from him, and might benefit if he protects from predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by