roosters all re-homed - need to go buy new flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Herself, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Herself

Herself Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    The last two of my roosters went to a new home Monday. That was the last of the six barred rock "pullets" that turned out to be all roosters! We are cleaning out coop & run & plan to get 4-6 new pullets. My dilema is that if I can only get some that 4 -5 weeks old I'll be waiting until winter to get eggs. Someone at my local chicken swap will be coming with 4 week old hatchery sexed pullets next weekend, but I'm not sure if I should look for some pullets that are nearer to laying age. I keep looking on Craig's list, and there have been some young laying or ready to lay pullets listed, but none to near to my area. Most of these are listed at prices between 12 & 20 dollars depending on age. Is that usually to going price for pullets 10 to 16 weeks?

Herself
    Currently chickenless in southern NH

2. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I would expect to pay about $10 around here for POL pullets. So sorry your BRs were all roos! Someone either sexed them wrong...or sexed them wrong intentionally [​IMG]

3. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    That's about what they go for in my area. However, I don't know that the eggs are as important to me as the satisfaction I would feel in the role I played in getting the girls to that point. Don't get me wrong, the eggs wouldn't go to waste. But it might take me a while to stop feeling like I was eating someone else eggs.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

If you were closer to me I could help you out [​IMG]

Might try looking in the "Where am I? Where are you!" thread forum - there you might find a thread about your home state and then find someone close to you with POL or close.

5. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    I paid $12 to 15 for young hens that had just started to lay... these were ameraucana mix and BR... I paid more for the FBCM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by