roosters and chick integration

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farrider387, May 28, 2008.

1. farrider387

farrider387 New Egg

Jan 28, 2007
    I have two questions. At what age and/or method should I integrate my new chicks with the adults. Second, I've never had roosters before, only pullets. How does this effect the eggs? Do I have to check them before eating? Will the eggs look the same when you crack them open?

2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I don't know about your first question, but I do know the answer to your second. With a rooster in the coop you will have fertile eggs, fine to eat, taste the same, only difference is a telltale bullseye (faint) appearance to the yolk. Someone posted some awesome pictures of fertile eggs recently, the post was about finding fertile eggs a month after no roo. Maybe I can find it for you. hope that helps!

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    You and your customers will never know the difference between fertile and infertile eggs.

The only sign is the bullseye mentioned earlier, but you have to: A) know what to look for and B) look VERY closely to even notice it.

And, BTW, one old wives tale is that eggs with meatspots or blood spots in them mean the egg is fertile - that is not true. Meat and blood spots have nothing to do with fertility of the egg and can appear occasionally in infertile or fertile eggs.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  4. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    I have a separate pen for my younger chicks. I let them out when they are close to the same size as the big girls. They can see each other and talk now. Soon I will let the 'little sisters' out in the late evening, help them find a roost. Then in the morning they might not know the difference. Most of the time the younger girls stay to them selves. Like a click, we hated in high school.

5. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Ya wanna talk about ignorance? I'm seventy years old, and until two weeks ago while reading a book about chickens, all my life I thought that the white spots near the yolk was rooster sperm/semen; used to cut it out of the egg before frying/scrambling, too gross. I had never heard nor known anyone else who knew that those two white spots were the original cords on the two ends of the egg that held the yolk in the center of the egg until the egg/shell was cracked open. I've known lots of people who did the same thing I did. I was really surprised to learn that in order to tell if the egg was fertile when it's in the skillet is look for a tiny little dot on both sides of the yolk. Like I said, "Ya wanna talk about ignorance?"

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  6. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I always thought the white was embryonic tissue til I read about the cords too!! Haha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by