Roosters and cockerels in Northern California (pics)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by mthrclckr, Oct 4, 2007.

1. mthrclckr

mthrclckr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area, CA
    I've got some bantam boys that I'd like to re-home.

First, are some 7-week-old [accidental] chicks that are 1/2 Easter-egger and 1/2 RIR. They hatched around 8/13 or 8/14. There are five cockerels; the two pullets I'll let go provided the cockerels are going with them:
    [​IMG]
    If there is no interest with these, the boys will be going to the feed store tomorrow or Saturday.

Next is Muttzy, a cockerel just short of 7 months. He hatched St. Patrick's Day (3/17/07). Mother was a bantam Faverolles, father was a bantam white leghorn:
    [​IMG]

Shelly, the silver sebright is the oldest, hatched 5/16/06 most likely from Belt Hatchery:
    [​IMG]

Myrtle is a bantam RIR from Ideal Poultry, hatched 6/28/06. He's very good with other chickens and extremely gentle with chicks but is NOT afraid of humans and will bite as well as try to mate with/attack feet (and is now confined, as a result). He fathered the above chicks, and the mother is shown here with him:
    [​IMG]

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (West Contra Costa County) but might be willing to deliver as far south as San Bernardino County if the timing allows. Please e-mail ([email protected]) with any questions about these boys.

-Naomi

2. mthrclckr

Oct 4, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area, CA
    Okay - Muttzy, Shelly and Myrtle are spoken for, as well as the two pullet chicks. If anybody wants any of the 5 cockerel chicks, please let me know in the next few hours. I can hold onto them for a couple of days, but if nobody's interested, they're going to the feed store this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

-Naomi

3. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    DANG!!!! You already sold Mutzy????

4. mthrclckr

Oct 4, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area, CA
    Hi,

Hope everything is well with you. I know that you've been going through a difficult time, and you're in my thoughts.

I was hoping to drop off the chicks today at Sunnyside Feed Store in San Pablo. I found out about them last year from Marina and she has sold extra birds to them before. I called a bijillion times today and couldn't get a hold of them; they might have been closed for Columbus Day.

You have to call them first to see if they have room for birds. Ask to talk to Mario. Their hours are 9:30am to 5:30pm Mon-Sat.
    http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3710701926

Thanks - Muttzy's not too shabby for a cross. If you want to create one like him, take a bantam white s.c. leghorn rooster and put him with a bantam salmon Faverolles hen. Only thing that I found unfortunate about him was his weird-looking pair of shriveled-up wattles (from the Faverolles). He also has five toes, which is a dominant trait. But his type definitely resembles leghorn. I just LOVE his bleach-white beard. And his individual neck feathers sort of make me think of organza. They almost don't look real. Maybe leghorn neck feathers look like that. I don't own any so I don't know. He was a complete accident, BTW. I bought these bantam Faverolles hatching eggs and the lady who sold them to me warned me that one of her Fav hens was caught sneaking into her leghorn cockerel pen. I thought "oh well - this could be interesting" and he was the result. I didn't catch it for several weeks after hatch, until I noticed that his legs had very little feathering on them.

Yeah, a young teenage boy e-mailed me saying that he wanted all of my roos plus the two pullet chicks. A girl who previously contacted me saying she wanted ALL of the chicks did a disappearing act on me, so the pullets will go with the big boys. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they're all going to have a *better* life than I'm able to provide. I feel bad that I'm getting rid of my roos, but our city claims that they're going to start cracking down on code violations and I'm pretty certain that I have more roos than I'm allowed to keep.

I hope you are able to place your boys in good homes. But if not, do call Sunnyside and ask if they will buy them.

Good luck!

-Naomi [​IMG]

5. mthrclckr

Oct 4, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area, CA
    I just got back from dropping off the cockerel chicks [​IMG] . I hated doing it. However, the conditions looked MUCH better than the last time I was there and the people were SO nice! I was going to just give them the birds, but they were offering $3 per chick. I said not to worry about it, and they asked if I maybe wanted feed or scratch or anything. So I said some cracked corn would be great. They gave me a FIFTY POUND bag of it!!! Geez, I'm sure it was worth more than the birds.

Anyway, I was wrong about their business days - the hours are correct, but they're closed on Sundays AND Mondays.

, it looked like there would be plenty of room for your extra boys. You should call in advance anyway and see how much you can get for them. You've invested a lot more work and care into your gorgeous birds so they'd be worth a lot more. Still might not get as much as they're worth since the shop needs to make a profit...

I sure hope my boys have a happy life. I could swear they looked at me like I'd forsaken them [​IMG] . Sniffle-sniffle

-Naomi

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  6. mthrclckr

Oct 4, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area, CA
    Have you tried Craig's List? Marina suggested I try to sell extra birds through them, and it's worked out great. Well, I guess right now it's just that time of year when people are trying to get rid of their extra birds, so supply exceeds demand. AND you occasionally get some weirdos replying to your ad. But definitely try CL. I've also had my husband drop off ads at the feed store in Concord and that's been a total bust. I suspect that maybe they didn't even bother to post them up. But that's another thing you might try if your local feed stores allow posting of flyers and such.

The kid taking my roosters and two pullet chicks was responding to my post at CA Chickens, BTW. Have you already posted there? Pictures always help.

-Naomi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by