roosters and fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Freyadog, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Freyadog

Freyadog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    I just know that I am gonna get giggled at but hey I'm new with chickens.

Does a rooster have to fertilize each egg you know do it for each egg to make a chick or does it last through several eggs.

Man hope I have made my question understandable.

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    There are people who have had fertile eggs as long as 3 weeks after getting rid of their rooster. Pretty cool, huh!!!! [​IMG]

3. Freyadog

Freyadog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    awesome information. thank you so much. We have alot to learn. and the only way to learn is to ask. Thank you again.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Never worry about asking questions on here. There are plenty of people on here willing to help. Welcome!!!!! [​IMG]

5. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Max. fertility occurs within the first 4 days after mating. It starts to drop by slow degrees after that, but the hen can remain fertile for up to 3 weeks. That's the absolute outside limit, though, in my experience. Two and a half weeks after I removed an active roo from the flock this past spring, I set a hen on 6 eggs, and only one was fertile.

A hen will have maximum fertility for only about 3 to 4 days after one mating. For this reason, the male-to-female ratio in a flock must be enough to ensure mating of every hen every 3 days or so.

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/pubs/is1610.htm

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    When the male mates the hen, His sperm is deposited into the oviduct. The sperm make ther way to the upper end of this duct, and will remain fertile for 2-3 weeks. As a yolk is released from the hens ovaries, the waiting sperm fertillize it as it passes into the upper end of theoviduct.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by