1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roosters and fertility

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenboy95, Jan 1, 2009.

1. chickenboy95

chickenboy95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    hi everyone. i just started my first hatch with my little giant incubator. i read somewhere that during this time of year jan.1 that roosters fertility isint good at all and that most eggs wont hatch. im wondering if this is true or not. i hope it isint because i was really hoping that my first hatch would be a successful one. thanks for anyone who helps me.

Cole

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    my fertility has not been so hot this month, but I have moved girls around, switched roos, switched pens, introduced young, unproven roos. I'd say I'm only running 50% right now, but I hope they all settle down and do right by spring time.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Where are you located ?? The cold weather can cause a slow down in fertility !! The problem with hatching eggs is that if they get REAL cold or freeze there chances of hatching are lower.

4. chickenboy95

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    im located in southern ohio. i have 7 roosters and i know for sure that two are mating right now. i got 4 roos from a poultry show in columbus and 1 of them is only about 5 weeks and the other three havent gone around the other girls bc they always get pecked at. so i got eggs from the hens that the other two roos are for sure mating with.

5. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
  6. chickenboy95

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    no no no no no.

2 year old roo = mating

7 month old roo = mating

5 week old roo = to young

3 year old silkie roo = mating but no eggs from his girls (on strike)

8 month old roo = mating but dont know if fertile (two of his girls eggs in the bator)

5 month old roo = not mating

7 month old roo = only seen mate once with his girl but no eggs

7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Got yah [​IMG]

Crack an egg open and look at that page to see if they are fertile.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

And make sure the eggs you are going to try to hatch you get from the coop quick so they dont freeze.

If these dont work well for you it should get better as the weather warms up !!

8. chickenboy95

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    ok then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by