1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters and Grumpy Neighbors

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CreativeCowgirl, Sep 10, 2012.

1. CreativeCowgirl

CreativeCowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    I have recently gotten 27 chickens. All were supposed to be girls but I think since chick sexing is not 100% accurate I may have gotten a few boys. I really, really want to keep them but my neighbors are very grumpy and don't like them at all, even though they are only 6 weeks old right now, very quiet, and don't smell a bit. But I worry that when the roos start crowing the neighbors will throw a fit and I will have to get rid of them (I'm not even 100% positive they are allowed where I live). Do you guys have any tricks or tips for keeping roos quiet, or at least keeping it down to a dull roar?

2. ChickenGirl22

ChickenGirl22 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    The loudness really depends on the breeds. I had a SLC that never crowed and now I have a Lakenvelder that ALWAYS crows. I don't think there are any definite tricks or tips, but my advice is to give away any of the loud roos if you're really worried about them disturbing the neighbours. There's no real way I know of to make them quiet down or even discourage this behaviour. If Piper, my little guy, feels like he has to suddenly show off his impressiveness to the world at 6am, there's really nothing I can do about it.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I know your pain. I have had to rehome several beloved roosters and send some to a friend's "Freezer Camp" for later processing. (They had very good lives until they made good meals for us.) That was TOUGH to accept, but with the two "allowed" roosters, there are often new chicks and they're not always pullets.

I know of no way to quiet a rooster. I have read of folks using "rooster boxes" but I kinda think that's cruel. A rooster box is a short container in which the rooster cannot stand up to crow; folks keep 'em in there overnight and let them out when it's a "better" time to have a rooster crow. If your neighbors are like mine, they don't like the sound of crowing at ANY time of the day, but especially early in the morning. I don't let them out of the coop to range freely until 7 a.m. or later. (The sound is slightly muffled from inside the coop.)

4. clogan98

clogan98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    Redmond, OR
    There isn't really a way to quiet a rooster. It's what they do. I can't have them where I am and my 7 week old EE cockerel has started practicing his cock a doodles so he's going this week. If you aren't sure if they are allowed you HAVE to check!!! Are you sure you can even have chickens? If you have cranky neighbors, you could be in for a world of pain if they decide to start their complaining. I triple checked all the laws and talked to my neighbors before I got mine. Just to be safe.

5. CreativeCowgirl

Jul 22, 2012
    Sounds like I'll just have to keep him in the coop until a decent hour, and hope for the best. [​IMG] I'm pretty sure I am allowed to keep chickens, since there are several people nearby who have both hens and roosters (I can hear them crowing occasionally), but I haven't seen any laws about it and mainly I am just worried about disturbing the neighbors. I am hoping that offering them fresh eggs every now and then once my girls start laying will pacify them enough. [​IMG]

6. CreativeCowgirl

Jul 22, 2012
    Anybody know how loud an EE is? I think my EE may be a little roo. I am pretty sure the rest are pullets though.

7. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    You could always try buttering up your neighbors with some free eggs. Or if your coop space allows you could buy foam sound baffles like at guitar stores. Just make sure it is high enough that the chickens can't peck it apart and eat it.

8. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    We live in a neighborhood with neighbors in close proximity. Two of our straight run bantams are cockerels. Initially, they didn't crow loudly. After a few weeks of practice, however, their volume increased. I just decided to fix up our laundry room for our roos each morning. At 5:00 AM, they are retrieved from the coop and crow happily for a few hours from their posh indoor perch. When I open the door and call them, they strut from the laundry room through the living room and out the back door to greet their girls. It's precious - but indeed some effort. Anyway, bringing them in early in the morning allows them to roost with their flock and keeps peace with the neighbors. -just an idea.

9. CreativeCowgirl

Jul 22, 2012
    Well, I'm not usually much of an early riser, but I had thought about putting him in a spare dog kennel in the garage overnight, and then letting him out at a reasonable time in the morning. Perhaps the walls would dampen the sound, although my garage is much closer to the neighbors house than their coop.

10. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    The garage walls would definitely muffle the sound.
    We live in a very hot climate so our coops are "open air" (containing lots of hardware cloth) which doesn't mute the crowing at all. (-thought about doing the same thing as far as a kennel in the garage, but again, it gets way too hot here. -stifling in the garage at night so that was ruled out.) [​IMG]
    Anyway, best of luck with your situation - and I hope that you get to keep your beloved roos. -should be some sort of reasonable way to do so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by